Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Share

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  iCocker on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 pm

    alex wrote:
    iCocker wrote:Forgot to mention, those that are in love with white why instead diverse into a Teutonic one, they started off in the middleEast and were almost annihalated in the fall of Acre. That is white field with a latin black cross.

    almost anhilated but their true demise was at the hands of the poles and latvians at the battle of tannenberg on the 15th july 1410. this part of european history is almost completely neglected by western historians. the poles and their nordic allies gave the arrogant teutons a lesson in warfare and courage and almost completely anhilated the teutinic army those that survived where ransomed for big sums of gold this made the teutonic order bankrupt with most of its surviving associates joining other religous orders.

    now for the modeller polish knights, boyars and men at arms would make an interesting choice of subjects being a cross between western and eastern armour and equipment
    You are right Alex, Grunwald or Tannenberb 1410 was the last battle for the Teutonics, and stopped their expansion in Eastern Europe and finished of that once potent Order, but many neglect that they originated from Outremer aswell, and with a few Templers they made the last stand at Acre, which after this city fell to the Mameluks marking the end of the crusades in the holy land.

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 pm

    Saracen Helmet ready cheers

    I was thinking of simulating Ivan's idea of a Saracen banner (part of) beneath the Knight's feet, obviously showing the moon crescent beneath the feet Twisted Evil but am saving the time, especially as it will be Red from top to bottom, and the idea of PAINTING a BLACK KNIGHT (thanks to Ivan) is at the back of my mind (u jekk taqbizli I'll get another one from Catania Evil or Very Mad) and he'll be ALL BLACK with the Red Saracen banner beneath his feet pale cheers









    Samwel18
    Silver
    Silver

    Posts : 369
    Join date : 2009-08-07
    Age : 25
    Location : Paola, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Samwel18 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:58 pm

    Ray wrote:Saracen Helmet ready cheers

    I was thinking of simulating Ivan's idea of a Saracen banner (part of) beneath the Knight's feet, obviously showing the moon crescent beneath the feet Twisted Evil but am saving the time, especially as it will be Red from top to bottom, and the idea of PAINTING a BLACK KNIGHT (thanks to Ivan) is at the back of my mind (u jekk taqbizli I'll get another one from Catania Evil or Very Mad) and he'll be ALL BLACK with the Red Saracen banner beneath his feet pale cheers









    looool u'll get another 1 from Catania Very Happy

    stress at it's best Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Guest on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

    I will be watching these masterpieces coming alive intently. Mine when I eventually start it will be red baring a resemblance to a certain character out of the latest Robin Hood film. Hardy

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Noel Petroni on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm

    So according to Ivan's research you should be quite accurate on this.

    Red or black........ both will look nice!

    Look forward to see the painting on this............. this year though!

    Regards
    Noel

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  iCocker on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 pm

    Ah Ray, banners can be green and that compliment Red, go for it Ray! Red banners are more linked with the Ottoman Empire ... much later!

    Hardy, how are you mate, we missed you this Euro! Love to see your rendition, is it another Lionhearth, as this is a late period figure ... do not fall in the film's trap, they used Bravehearth's props IMO!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 am

    Hardy wrote:I will be watching these masterpieces coming alive intently. Mine when I eventually start it will be red baring a resemblance to a certain character out of the latest Robin Hood film. Hardy

    Hardy how are you mate? Missed you at Folkestone Sad

    We had the usual BLAST cheers

    Hey why are you going to WAIT???????

    Go on and start with us PLEASE over here on our forum for the forum's first group build, we'll be honoured to say the least to have you doing it with us cheers

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 am

    Noel Petroni wrote:So according to Ivan's research you should be quite accurate on this.

    Red or black........ both will look nice!

    Look forward to see the painting on this............. this year though!

    Regards
    Noel

    Noel, he'll be ready for Catania PROMISE Twisted Evil

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 am

    Ivan...yes I knew but I thought you won't notice, so I brought up the feeble excuse of the RED Banner Twisted Evil but NOW thanks to you, TEMPTATION GALORE Twisted Evil

    Samwel, STRESS GALORE lol! if I had another one right now, I WOULD PAINT HIM WITH THIS ONE.....AGAIN REAL STRESS GALORE I KNOW lol!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

    Coif....rolled down Twisted Evil

    A visit to the hairdresser next Laughing pale















    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  iCocker on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:27 pm

    Ray aren't you putting a quilted cotton coif, it was normal to have one under mail ?

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:26 pm

    iCocker wrote:Ray aren't you putting a quilted cotton coif, it was normal to have one under mail ?

    Are you SERIOUS or pale ?

    I know but it will not show when the hair is done Evil or Very Mad

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  iCocker on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:52 pm

    Ah so you are going into a hairy brother! Check out 13c haircut style as it was quite distinctive! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200%E2%80%931300_in_fashion
    Normally many sculptors overlook that fashion was not something from the 60s onwards ...

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  J.Fenech on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:08 pm

    Head sitting is looking much better now and having a more natural look.

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4063
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  bcauchi on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 pm

    i think it looks absolutely brilliant.

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Noel Petroni on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 pm

    Very nice sculpted face. He looks like a true veteran worrier!

    Prosit!

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  skyhigh on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 pm

    Beautifull work Ray , I thing I agree with you that you choose a complete head instead of the helmet, it's more professional...

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm

    iCocker wrote:Ah so you are going into a hairy brother! Check out 13c haircut style as it was quite distinctive! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200%E2%80%931300_in_fashion
    Normally many sculptors overlook that fashion was not something from the 60s onwards ...

    [The clothing of royalty was set apart by its rich fabric and luxurious furs. Hair and beard were moderate in length, and men generally wore their hair in a "pageboy" style, curling under at necklength. Shoes were slightly pointed, and embroidered for royalty and higher clergy.[3]]

    Copied and pasted the above the link you posted Ivan Twisted Evil

    So hair was "curling under at necklength" which I take was longer then necklength since it curled inwards Laughing

    A Miles Christi Brother in the Holy Land surely would not have curled the lower strands of his hair inward to keep his hair at neck length Evil or Very Mad so mine would be wearing his hair just a little longer then neck length Laughing

    Hopefully, the hair as it is "growing" would give my Brother a distinctive appearance of SOMEONE we ALL SHOULD KNOW pale

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm

    JF, Brian, Noel & Marco, thanks for looking and the interest.

    Marco, I don't know exactly what you mean by "professional" but I take it that you are referring to a visible painted face would appear better then a visored/helmeted face pale

    It would look just as great for a change to paint a helmeted version, even though with my slight adjustment/conversion/alteration, will make the piece unique and different from the rest Cool

    I will still paint a helmeted version Twisted Evil pity I don't have one at the moment because I would get them both ready for Catania cheers

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Noel Petroni on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 am

    By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

    My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

    Regards
    Noel

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:25 am

    Noel Petroni wrote:By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

    My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

    Regards
    Noel

    My point exactly cheers

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  iCocker on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

    Ray wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

    My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

    Regards
    Noel

    My point exactly cheers
    Not exactly scruffy but sweaty, a head with coif, mail and helmet is like a conventional oven, would be a challenge to get a wet look effect ... ejja Ray!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Ray on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm

    iCocker wrote:
    Ray wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

    My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

    Regards
    Noel

    My point exactly cheers
    Not exactly scruffy but sweaty, a head with coif, mail and helmet is like a conventional oven, would be a challenge to get a wet look effect ... ejja Ray!

    Thanks for REMINDING me Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

    Joking apart, I never really contemplated on the wet look effect, since the "sheen" is obtained quite well with the satiny finish of the Vallejo's Shocked

    And one has to be a WIZARD to conjure "sweat in scale" on anything smaller then 180mm at least Cool

    But it is worth considering nonetheless Shocked

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  skyhigh on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 pm

    Ray wrote:JF, Brian, Noel & Marco, thanks for looking and the interest.

    Marco, I don't know exactly what you mean by "professional" but I take it that you are referring to a visible painted face would appear better then a visored/helmeted face pale

    It would look just as great for a change to paint a helmeted version, even though with my slight adjustment/conversion/alteration, will make the piece unique and different from the rest Cool

    I will still paint a helmeted version Twisted Evil pity I don't have one at the moment because I would get them both ready for Catania cheers

    Exactly Ray that's what I mean, in my opinion it is moe challange to paint a face instead the helmet...

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

    Post  Noel Petroni on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:13 pm

    Joking apart, I never really contemplated on the wet look effect, since the "sheen" is obtained quite well with the satiny finish of the Vallejo's

    And one has to be a WIZARD to conjure "sweat in scale" on anything smaller then 180mm at least

    But it is worth considering nonetheless

    Ray, in my opinion, to get the sweat wet look as Ivan pointed out, you need to make hair strands attached to each other. Do you understand what I mean? When long hair sweats, it tends to attach itself together.

    This effect alone will be a good base to than continue to bring out the wet effect with satin varnish. The sweat smell will be a challenge!

    Regards
    Noel

      Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm