SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
matilda
clioguy
Cyril.
skyhigh
Gordon
jojjemannen
in nannu pec
William
Luke
Noel Petroni
bcauchi
iCocker
alexbb
Ray
Joseph
Dottore
Alex Kontiveis
21 posters

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

antonio argudo
    antonio argudo
    Commended
    Commended

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty hey Alex

Post  antonio argudo Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am

This is not fair,Mad I need my dose of Lancaster build!!! hope to see some updates soon!
    best wishes!
    Antonio Cool
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty End of the Wings and undercarriage section.

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 am

Hi Guys,
    This is my newest update. Actually I have finished Part II concerning the Wings and their components.

I began my construction from the landing system. I cut off the Kit’s main support beams (knees) and what is left (shock absorber struts) was painted in black and Aluminum. The Locking rods are painted in red.

You have 3 choices.
    a) Black overall
    b) Black and aluminum (by the way I did paint them)
    c) Black and aluminum (by the negative way)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00165lg

At this point I would like to make a comment. The brake hoses are not placed outside of the legs, but internally. In fact there is only one which bifurcates into two tubes from the inside.
    The weighted wheels come from Paragon.

Next step concerns the WHEEL WELLS. (undercarriage bay)
    Everything there is scratch built. Tamiya provides an empty area, no internal detail, no accuracy. New wing ribs, oil tanks, fire distinguishers, new undercarriage structure.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00196m

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00171n

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00169

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00192a

Here we should say that we had to build the main support beams (green ones). The risk was very obvious cause of the huge weight of the Lanc. These small Knees Must support the heavy fuselage and wings.

Going further, I had to make the new engine nacelles. The old Tamiya’s Kit provides the nacelles with the flame dumpers. The new Kit, provides 2 choices…with or without. So I had to make new nacelles without flame dumpers. I used Quickboost exhausts.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00173o

Now, I had to build the fuel tanks. Lancaster’s wings are full of them!!! Made by plastic sheet, wrapped with cast vinyl in case to represent the texture of the fire proof material (red)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00194kv

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00198bw

At next stage, I built the flaps. No spare time left. I have to catch our exhibition dates. So, there was no any chance to make 60+ frames of the flaps structure. I decided to use aftermarket solution. These come from Eduard. I did improve them more as you can see.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00170up

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00168cs

Going next…we meet the Cabin Heater. Everything is built from Zero, according to real pictures and technical drawings. The cabin heater duct at the port hinged leading edge plus the inlet cover, are represented 100% in accuracy.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00191h

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00183fs

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00185w

The ailerons are scratch built. I opened the panel of the dinghy stowage. The boat is made by milliput.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00180v

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00178g

My next part concerns the power plan and the Merlin. That’s the Last part of the main construction work, just before painting job.

Stay tuned.
    Alex

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 000203D9
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty Re: 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

Post  jojjemannen Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:32 pm

affraid affraid affraid Shocked Shocked Shocked
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty Re: 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

Post  alexbb Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

jojjemannen wrote:affraid affraid affraid Shocked Shocked Shocked

MAKE THAT X 2

FANTASTIC
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 pm

alex wrote:

MAKE THAT X 2

FANTASTIC

MAKE THAT x3

Just when I thought I've seen it all......you come up with this affraid affraid affraid affraid Shocked Shocked Shocked
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 pm

I think till date this is one of the best modelling sbs and project I have ever seen! You are a master!

Ivan
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm

matilda wrote:werry nice indeed.
    this is more and more amaising model and i am sure will be a winner when finish.
    stevan

TNX Stevan. In fact I’m very bored with this project. I’m not a fan of British aviation. So I don’t want to spend more than a year of work…I’ve got better planes to make!

antonio argudo wrote:This is not fair,Mad I need my dose of Lancaster build!!! hope to see some updates soon!
    best wishes!
    Antonio Cool

Hi Antonio…This Update is dedicated to U. TNX!

alex wrote:

MAKE THAT X 2

FANTASTIC
    Ray wrote:
    alex wrote:

MAKE THAT X 2

FANTASTIC

MAKE THAT x3

Just when I thought I've seen it all......you come up with this affraid affraid affraid affraid Shocked Shocked Shocked

Make it x4!!! TNX so much guys!

iCocker wrote:x 4

I think till date this is one of the best modelling sbs and project I have ever seen! You are a master!

Ivan

Thank U so much my president, but I do not deserve such a compliment! Yes I do agree that building a Lancaster or B-17, is a challenge, an all time classic interesting project.
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Make it x 5!!

Just impressive!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Amazing job Alex, what a marvel this model is, i watch and learn and realise how much more i have to strive to reach your level of detail and accuracy.
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:19 pm

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid AWESOME MY FEELOS FROM GREECE....YOU ARE SIMPLY A FIRST RATE MODEL GRANDMASTER.....
    THE DETAIL IS AMAZING
    IN NANNU PEC What a Face
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Make that X 100, I have to join the chorus, simply incredible!!!! Cool

Tankred afro
    antonio argudo
    antonio argudo
    Commended
    Commended

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty wow

Post  antonio argudo Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 pm

woow after my dose of lancaster I feel so high drunken !!! thanks master Alex! I take note of your recipe to cook my b17 in the next months, yours is really top class king!
    keep the amazing work mate!
    Antonio
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty New update (MERLIN)

Post  Alex Kontiveis Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Thank U all of you guys.. I appreciate your interesting...

I'm very busy with Helmo website so Ι apologize for my not frequent visits to your forum. Unfortunately I'm alone this period...All my assistants are OFF cause of their works...Our new page needs more daily work.

This update concerns the Lancaster Power plant. Actually we are gonna try for this…

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Lancastermkiiibbmf02375

I’m very glad because this is the end of the main construction steps. One more will follow next (not so interesting) concerning the Canopy and H2S radar.

Looking at the pic bellow, you can see the tragedy!!! Kit’s engine is much smaller compared to an accurate aftermarket engine in 1/48 scale. So I decided to buy Aires one (Merlin Mk22). By cutting and converting some things on it, I made an original Mk.20.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00003pu

Buying the Aires engine is not enough of course… You are gonna need many additions and major components to be added in purpose of making a correct Merlin’s compartment. So.. You’ve got 2 choices!!!

Sometimes, the things are simplest than we can imagine!! All we have to do is to THINK clever!

What I mean…Ok. I want to build Merlin’s coolant tank. What Can I do?
    Take a Me-109 Hasegawa’s wheel…Remove the centre peace and leave the tire only. Cut it in two peaces (two “sausages”)!!! You need only one! Trim it, giving its shape.. and here you are… Better than the original! In 15 minutes only!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00006cn

By the same way…you can make the Merlin’s huge Oil “RED” tank… Plastic sheet, and some putty are enough!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00013z

Next step…Merlin’s radiator… Its simplest than it seems.. Made by plastic sheet, mesh from Cammett Ltd, painted with Alclad Chrome!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00011fg

But…where shall we place all these heavy parts??? Oh..We need to build the Merlin;s mounting and Firewall.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00014ps

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00019v

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00020r

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00024bh

As soon as we finished all these…everything joins the installations very easily.

The mounting was painted with Acrylic Humbrol 78. Merlin ain body was painted in Gloss Black. By washing him with oils the color get a satin touch. The Oil tank was painted in red.
    The SU AVT40 Carburetor was made by two copper tubes joined together in 90 degrees angle. I left it without intakes.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00045fe

All Merlin’s Components, wiring etc are installed according to my Mechanical engineering knowledge and looking at the hundreds of pictures of the real one.
    By the way….I built a Valve train…That makes it more interesting!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00026kz

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00029up

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00040iy

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00042m

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00049u

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00054on

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00055wo

That’s all for today guys…

Thank U for reading me.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 000202B1

Last edited by Alex Kontiveis on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:28 pm

swiss clockwork precission and the ultimate eye for detail from a mediterranean brother from GREECE. fantastic
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 pm

alex wrote: swiss clockwork precission and the ultimate eye for detail from a mediterranean brother from GREECE. fantastic

Hi Alex...I Think Mediterranean winds boost our abilities!!!! Thank U so much my friend!

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Alex this is world class art...I'm so impressed with this build...wow!
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Dave Pratt wrote:Alex this is world class art...I'm so impressed with this build...wow!

Thanks Dave...

I'm very tired of this...It never ends... I will never do it again!!!

Let me say something...I know you are gonna like it!!! My next coming is a Bf 109K-4 (all panels out) in 1/24!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Good to hear from you again my good friend. You can never give us enough of this build, you outdo yourself with every step, that engine is totally brilliant, my favorite has got to be the radiator though, it is simply real. just a miniature of the real thing. Brilliant craftsmanship!!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:06 am

Amazing and Inspiring again and again and again!!!!!!!
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 am

bcauchi wrote:Good to hear from you again my good friend. You can never give us enough of this build, you outdo yourself with every step, that engine is totally brilliant, my favorite has got to be the radiator though, it is simply real. just a miniature of the real thing. Brilliant craftsmanship!!

Hi Brian. The Merlin's power plant, is a very small area in 1/48..I couldn't do more work..Yes the radiator box is good. Personally I like the coolant tank...! bounce

TNX mate!

Ray wrote:Amazing and Inspiring again and again and again!!!!!!!

You are a Marvellous! Your comments are something like MW50!!! (Marco will understand what i mean!!)

Thank U my friend!!!!
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Alex Kontiveis wrote:
    Dave Pratt wrote:Alex this is world class art...I'm so impressed with this build...wow!

Thanks Dave...

Let me say something...I know you are gonna like it!!! My next coming is a Bf 109K-4 (all panels out) in 1/24!

Hey hey....did I hear so... 109.....109K....That's brillant Alex ...you now as you already mention I'm always here around , so if you need inf... just tell me I will be great full to help in the this fascinated subject....

And as my friends already tell you ..what a master modeling you are building...welldone indeed.... cheers
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Empty Corrected Merlin build. New pics.

Post  Alex Kontiveis Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 am

skyhigh wrote:
    Alex Kontiveis wrote:

Thanks Dave...

Hey hey....did I hear so... 109.....109K....That's brillant Alex ...you now as you already mention I'm always here around , so if you need inf... just tell me I will be great full to help in the this fascinated subject....

And as my friends already tell you ..what a master modeling you are building...welldone indeed.... cheers

OH YES!!!! Dont you remember the discussion about red/blue 7 of Jg27? I was documenting my next coming build!!!

Here are some new pics of the Merlin...I noticed some mistakes (damn Digital ages!!!) to my previous work, so I decided to rebuild the valve train and some wiring...

Here is the final result!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00045e

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00047sj

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00032yg

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00042ut

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00037fx

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00040vwi

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! - Page 5 Dsc00039w

Last edited by Alex Kontiveis on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 am

your merlin engine would be a wonderful model on its own.
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:52 am

alex wrote:
    your merlin engine would be a wonderful model on its own.

Yes..I agree. I love modelling the engines!! Actually it is the only part of an aircraft Kit, I spend hours to build it!!! I never get bored with an engine!!!

TNX Alex!
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Master of detail and master of photo's eswell....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:41 am