SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Rob Wood
Samwel18
el manolo
5Nige
Robert
jojjemannen
tiking
Noel Petroni
olivermifsud
Iain
alexbb
smallia
Proximo41
Haratio Fales
RayCaruana
Cyril.
Wayne
Tancred
Dottore
ascomt
skyhigh
in nannu pec
Aldo
iCocker
Ray
David
bcauchi
Paul Salomone
32 posters

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Hello Horatio,

If you browse in the forum, you wind a section (forum informatio). There you will find the instructions as how to upload the pictures. The most important thing is to upload photos not larger than 800 x 600 pixels.

Come on mate, we want to see the cruiser.

cheers

Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Cruiser Hull center pic

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 am

I think im getting it1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Pictur20 figured out, but i accidentally posted it as a new topic. 2 times LOL, heres another try
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty second pic

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 am

heres a top veiw1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Pictur21
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty picture 3

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:12 am

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Pictur22

Center forms from half inch high density laminated plywood.
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Turret starts

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:16 am

My first attempt for turrets[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/3[url=https://servimg.com/view/17318252/15]1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Pictur241/82/52/pictur23.jpg[/img][/url] for molding, small unfinished
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Turret with Meshersmit for scale

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 am

old Model My 4 year old got ahold 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Pictur25of LOL/ for scale reference
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 am

Good morning Horatio, sunny

It's good to know that finally you got hold of how to upload the photos. In my opinion, now that you have started a new thread, upload your additions in that thread. This way You will build the story of the construction of the light cuirser, as i am doing with the Scharnhorst.

By the way, the construction seems to be good. Just a small advise, you must add more striifners at the top where the deck will eventually be fitted. This way, you will eliminate any sagging the sheet metal may produce. bom

What is the overall lenbgth of the cruiser once finished. I am imagining some 250cm. Was the cruiser armed with 6" or 8" guns. cheers
    I am quite sure that when finished, your sruiser will be a hit. cheers

Come on mate, hurry up, we have a lot of commerece raiding to do. Just cannot let the convoys slip by.
    All hands on deck. affraid
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Re: 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Good morning back To you Paul and all. Thank You for the response. I did notice the sag in the metal and was planing to add side stifiners, a freind that lives here in Cheyenne has Built some Remote Control ships with sheet metal for years and I always liked his work, however found it lacking in detail as they were always totally homade, like nails for aa guns and hand carved aircraft on a small carrier. His ships are all like 1/93rd scale or HO train scale which im not a fan of but it is still impressive work. I am going to see how well the center Hull section comes out with apperance considering detail and if Im not happy I will construct another for the model and keep this one for RC/ I just thought i could do both with teh same ship.

And yes I will run a new thread so this one doesnt look like a Encyclopedia of the Kreigsmarine when its done LOL, and Im lookinr forward to the Graph Zeplin in this Scale, oh and to answer the Gun question the main turrets on teh Cruiser are 6 in secondary twins on the Sharn/ and Bismark
    Thats what really caught my eye on your post besides the awsome detail you have a knack for the wooden turret in the pick with the BF109 on it was teh first turret i enlarged useing 1/350 and 1/400 scale mesurments and enlarging it. I however was looking at desinging little trunions and gun barols for it, which comes back to geting my hands on the actual line drawings and or blueprint demesions, so when the books show up Ill be in a much better state to construct those, the silver turret in the picture is a main 11 in turret in 1/72 for a Graph Spee/ Sharnharst.

As allways good hunting and Check my new thread, Ill start geting long winded in there and now that I know how to uplaod the photos Ill post a bunch as I go along, and last but not least Thanks for the Inspiation, it is Invaluable.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Good evening Horatio,

My advise to you is one and maybe a lot of big scale modellers will agree with me. If you intend to use the model for radio control purposes, then do not bother too much for detail, as by time, the water tends to damage all the detailed parts. if you really wish to produce a good and well detailed model of the cruiser, then my friend I strongly suggest that you produce a static model with a mahagony or walnut base stand. And that would be something to be proud of.

Think it over, but i think that it would be the bset way to go about it.

Take it one step at a time and do not rush things. Shocked Better to take it slowly and enjoy the end result. Very Happy

Next Monday i will upload some more photos of the progress carried out during the weekend.

Have a nice weekend. Basketball
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty re thanks

Post  Haratio Fales Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 pm

yes, I have to slow down at times and acctally do the work and Im considring making a Rc and static so I can have a nice mantle queen and a toy to stick in the Lake out here, and I restarted the New Thread called 1-72 scale light cruiser KMS Munich. I posted some more pics and have already recieved some feed back, and wanted to re thank you fo teh motivation and advise.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:23 am

Hello Horatio,

No need for any thanks, we are all modellers and always willing to give a helping hand, when ever we can. cheers Did you ever think of coming over to Malta for a Holiday. Very Happy
    With regards to your project, I shall upload the comments in your thread, in order to create two separate projects which will be more interesting and informative.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:00 am

Good morning all, sunny

Sorry I'm a bit late today, got stuck in the traffic. Suspect

During the weekend, I started the detailing of the front range finder. seeing it, I just cannot believe that In invested a good 12 hours on it.

A photo of the range finder as depicted in the book as Published by Kagero Publishing. I purchased the book about a year ago from Barbarossa Books, and I strongly suggest that who ever wishes to construct the Scharnhorst, must buy this book. Its a gold mine of details, which are not found in any other books.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02100

The pieces forming the range finder.Of course there are still some pieces to add to it but, this is the begining.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02101

The range finder in place.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02102

Another view of the range finder.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02103

The base plates for the other two range finders.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02104

This week, no progress shall be made, as I will dedicate this week's work for our society and the Exhibition, but will definetly try to do something during the expo for sure.Agood three days away from the shop steward (my wife) queen and down to scale modelling. cheers

Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Re: 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Cyril. Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Nice work on the lathe Paul Very Happy Very Happy

A valuable tool in shipbuilding.

Your photos are becoming more interesting with every posting. cheers

Cyril.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks Cyril, bounce

Wish I could do more, but unfortunately, time is not on my side at the moment. This evening I hope to find some time to continue woring on the range finder. affraid

I just ordered a very nice set of marine type chains for the ship, from Model Dockyard. A very good site for the marine modeller. Basketball
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 pm

affraid Beautifull work Paul just Brillant.......... cheers
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Scratch-building at it's best Very Happy

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Images10
    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks guys, I love you

Wish I could do more, but scratch building is really time intensive. Especially now that the work on the detailing has started, i will have plan each step of the highway very carefully.

But as the saying goes - every beginning has it's end, and the day upon which the Scharnhorst will be ready for action is nearing. Basketball

During the exhibition, I will start working on the Fumo Radar.

Just cannot wait. A whole weekend dedicatedto modelling with you fine folks. cheers
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Paul Salomone wrote:Thanks guys, I love you

Wish I could do more, but scratch building is really time intensive. Especially now that the work on the detailing has started, i will have plan each step of the highway very carefully.

But as the saying goes - every beginning has it's end, and the day upon which the Scharnhorst will be ready for action is nearing. Basketball

During the exhibition, I will start working on the Fumo Radar.

Just cannot wait. A whole weekend dedicatedto modelling with you fine folks. cheers

lol! lol! Till Late...... lol! lol!
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Till Late - and no joke about it.

Ejja Halli Nibdew LOL cheers

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty brushing up

Post  Haratio Fales Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I saw the pictures from the show/ WOW awsome. i have been building an enclosed porch on my house to set up a bigger area for my modeling shop, which is now in my living room, so I havent done anymore work on the cruiser yet but I have done allot of research and Dug out a model of a Gato class submarine in 1/72 from Revell, LOL dont worry just looking at I for now, I want to keep going on the cruiser. I might be getting a Lathe in the near future, that would help with the Gun barrols and such, Your Range finder is comming out good. I got the Book on the Naval Guns, In english it is one volume that was made from the 4 that You have, Invaluable for the line scale drawings. I also found some line drawings from the lare 30s on The Dreadnought.project.ORG The prints are copyrighted but they are free to look at on teh computer. It is a good source for reference and they will sell prints if you contact them. any way good modeling and ill post new pics as soon as I get back to work on them.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty 1:72 scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Hello Horatio,

Good to know that you liked the pictures of the exhibiton. For the time being, I am concentrating only on the range finder, almost ready now, but it took me one hell of a time. Some things are still new to me, so I had to jumble up my thinker balls, in order to get the right tools, at the right position fot the required job.
    Tomorrow I will post more pics of the progress.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 am

Good morning All, sunny

Some more progressphotos of the range finder and other pieces.

A general view of the bases on which the scopes shall bemounted.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02810

A close up view of the bases.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02811

Another view showing thedifference between the two different kinds of bases, on which of course two different kinds of scopes shall be mounted.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02812

The rangefinder nearing completion.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02813

A front view of the rangefinder. Note the outer sides of the rangefinder, equipped with e three lens rotating disc. Must produce another two for the inner scopes.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02814

A basic undercoat applied to the range finder.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02816

Another view of therangefinder.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02817

The last two barrels of themain armament finally in place as well. Now all nine barrels are ready for finishing.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02818

The begining of the end. The first of 12 x 150mm diameter Secondary armament barrels to fit in the twin and single turrets mounted at the side of the ship.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02819

Another view of the 150mm diameter barrel.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02820

Front elevationof the barrel.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Dsc02821

I will try to produce all the remaining 150mm barrels this weekend.

Till than - Happy scale modelling guys: cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 am

i was very sceptic of a cardboard model especially that size......until i saw it and touched it now im a convert well done paul please do hurry up but not at the expense of the detail and fine work you are putting into this one
    Haratio Fales
    Haratio Fales
    Bronze
    Bronze

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 8 Empty Dude

Post  Haratio Fales Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Dude I wish I lived next to you or nearby anyway, I definatly need to get a lathe, I ame working out some deck plans for myine but will probably need to buy a printer as the guys downtown are scared to death to copy anything or blow it up LOL, I dont blame them there are alot of people who would try to sell that stuff, anyway the weather here has been crapy and I have a bad head cold but plan to get back to building on my porch so i can get back to the ship. I guess I need a shipyard before I can launch the Navy. oh and by the way have You seen teh 1/15th scale Battleship Pensylvania that the guy is building in his back yard out of Plywood. I thought the Graph spee in 1/20th was somthing. anyway good modeling Ill throw some moer pics on my blog just as soon as I can get back to working on it. PS hope you guys had fun at the Show.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:24 pm

alex GIMLI wrote:
    i was very sceptic of a cardboard model especially that size......until i saw it and touched it now im a convert well done paul please do hurry up but not at the expense of the detail and fine work you are putting into this one

I have to agree with Alex, I never thought that Cardboard could be worked like this. The work you are doing is amazing!! Keep posting!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am