SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Rob Wood
Samwel18
el manolo
5Nige
Robert
jojjemannen
tiking
Noel Petroni
olivermifsud
Iain
alexbb
smallia
Proximo41
Haratio Fales
RayCaruana
Cyril.
Wayne
Tancred
Dottore
ascomt
skyhigh
in nannu pec
Aldo
iCocker
Ray
David
bcauchi
Paul Salomone
32 posters

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty Re: 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Ray Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 pm

J.Fenech wrote:
    alex GIMLI wrote:
    i was very sceptic of a cardboard model especially that size......until i saw it and touched it now im a convert well done paul please do hurry up but not at the expense of the detail and fine work you are putting into this one

I have to agree with Alex, I never thought that Cardboard could be worked like this. The work you are doing is amazing!! Keep posting!!

So nice to find posts that AMPLIFY YOUR THOUGHTS as you save some time in writing or does it Suspect

AMEN to the cardboard converts cheers

Paul, you definitely challenged us ALL so SILENTLY but SURELY in TRUE SSM Spirit Twisted Evil cheers

Now stay focused & don't feed the hungry hounds who are ready to pounce on you when the GAMES (DETAIL) BEGIN lol!
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks Guys, Very Happy Very Happy

Your comments are encouraging.

I am willing to deliver a lecture on cardboard modelling. Just name the date, for me it's no problem. Basketball

Ray, I fully agree with you, no rush for the detailing. Just one step at a time. The most impostant things is the result. Wink Wink And yes I can now say that I am an SSM brother with the true SSM spirit. cheers cheers cheers

There may be a time where I shall be needing a bit of your advise, but am quite sure that you fine guys will give me a helping hand.

LONG LIVE SSM - GOD WILLS IT cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty Re: 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  skyhigh Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Paul Salomone wrote:Thanks Guys, Very Happy Very Happy

Your comments are encouraging.

I am willing to deliver a lecture on cardboard modelling. Just name the date, for me it's no problem. Basketball

Ray, I fully agree with you, no rush for the detailing. Just one step at a time. The most impostant things is the result. Wink Wink And yes I can now say that I am an SSM brother with the true SSM spirit. cheers cheers cheers

There may be a time where I shall be needing a bit of your advise, but am quite sure that you fine guys will give me a helping hand.

LONG LIVE SSM - GOD WILLS IT cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Of course we give you a helping hand Paul, thats why we are the best club on the Island....cheers .

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty contact

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:45 pm

paul been trying to contact you about the scharnhorst. my email is brinksfred@aol.com. fred
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Looking better every time you post Paul, well done!
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am

Good morning all, sunny

Not many pictures today, as I spent the whole weekend on duty with my lathe and worked on the 150mm gun barrels for the secondary armament. I need 12 of these barrels to equip the twin gun mountings, which amount to four casemates; and the single mountings which are of the open type and mounted on both sides in midship position.

Below are the pictures of the work carried out. cheers

An original photo showing the casemate mountung the twin 150mm calibre secondary armament.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 H9750711

An isometric view of the casemate.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 S11510

An isometric view of the casemate with an anti-aircraft mounting open type platform added on the front turrets only. These were added to enhance the protection against enemy aircraft, prior to operation "Cerberus".
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 S11710

An isometric view of a single gun mount of the open type.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 S10710

An isometric view of the rear side of the same gun mount.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 S10810

The barrel on the lathe taking form.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Dsc02822

Another view of the same barrel.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Dsc02823

The barrel ready for finishing and polish.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Dsc02824

An array of nine barrels - three more to go, and the 150mm calibe gun barrels for this ship will be ready for mounting into their respective casemates (gun turrets).
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Dsc02825

This week I will try to have the other three barrels ready, as I have other plans for the weekend.

Will post more photos next Thursday.

in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

prosit Paul......
    IN nannu
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Immaculate workmanship Paul cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:41 pm

That's the spirit Paul!

Iv
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks Brothers, cheers

I am trying hard to get it right. Of course the research for the detailing is the hardest part, but bit by bit I am getting along. Smile

Next Thursday I will post some more pics. bom
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Amazing!!! work paul... cheers
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty 1:72 scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks Marco,I love you

Next Wednesday I shall be bringing the barrels to the club. This evening I managed to finish off another one. Now only two are needed to complete the set. cheers
    But now my friend, the most chanllenging shall begin. Evil or Very Mad The 105mm anti-aircraft barrels - I shall be needing 12 of those barrels as well. And apart from being a bit complicated in shape, the diameter of the barrels is small. the inner diameter of the barrel shall be of only 1mm while the outside shall only be 2.5mm diameter. Adding to that, I must buy a tool that can handle small diameters, and still can be locked in the tool post - (if such a tool exists) Suspect
    But lets hope for the best. bom
    Next Wednesday I shall also bring along my soldering tools and learn how to solder small items. cheers

See you Wednesday Brother. Very Happy
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 am

Paul, have you considered working with available brass/aluminium tubes since you arrived to such delicate measurments for the lathe Suspect ?

Just my humble 2c worth of advice pale
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 am

Paul I have a cordless soldering tool set powered by lighter gas...it's only a bit larger than a felt marker...so good for modelling work....do u have one of those ?
    In nannu
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:36 am

Good morning to you all, sunny

Ray - I would love to use the brass tubes. the only problem is that the barrels fot the 105mm anti-aircraft guns were not straight forward. they had a tapered barrel to start with, like all other gun barrels. To add to this the barrel sleeves had compensators as well, which must be added to the detail of the gun barrel.

below is a photo of the gun barrel.

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 S10410

The barrel is actually the minor problem. These type of twin mouintings were of the open type. This means that although the front and the sides of the gun mounting was covered with steel plates, the rear was open to enable the gun operation, thus all the details, including the hydraulic lines, telecomunications and electrical cables, range + bearing + altitude calculators and other elevating equipment must be included in the assembly. and that brother is the real headache. Suspect I must treat each part separetly and produce them as if i was mass producing.
    Any way, Basketball All the beginnings have their end, and once finished, I am quite sure that gun assemblies will end up to be a model within a model.

Nannu Pec - Now it's your turn. yes i do have one of those gas powered soldering tools, and as a matter of fact, I shallbring it with me tomorrow. cheers

See you all tomorrow, SSM Brothers.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok Paul, have you considered searching for them within some miniature modelling manufacturing realm Shocked

Again, don't take my advice as offensive to your modelling prowees, which easily rubs shoulders with the best the hobby has to offer, but IMHO "if I find it readily available & it saves me some precious time, then I would go for it blindfolded" & given the tiny bits that you still have to find & adjust, then I would think twice & trice if need be Suspect
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Ray,

As a matter of fact, I have already made contact with "Master Barrel" of Poland, and has forwarded me an offer for the supply of the 105mm, 37mm and the 20mm anti-aircraft and flak barrels. In all, they will cost around Euro 120.00. What a Face
    I think that I will forward him the order. But will first try to do a 105mm barrel myself, and see the time intent on one barrel. That way I can decide. Smile

Thanks for your support Ray. Basketball You are just like my big brother, always there to lend a helping hand. cheers

SSM FOR EVER, MY BROTHER - GOD WILLS IT.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Paul Salomone wrote:Ray,

As a matter of fact, I have already made contact with "Master Barrel" of Poland, and has forwarded me an offer for the supply of the 105mm, 37mm and the 20mm anti-aircraft and flak barrels. In all, they will cost around Euro 120.00. What a Face
    I think that I will forward him the order. But will first try to do a 105mm barrel myself, and see the time intent on one barrel. That way I can decide. Smile

Thanks for your support Ray. Basketball You are just like my big brother, always there to lend a helping hand. cheers

You're more then Welcome My SSM Bro Twisted Evil
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 am

Good morning brothers, sunny

Today I am posting some pics posted on another forum by a guy who is building the Bismarck in 1:100 scale. The superstructure is made from copper and metal sheeting, and he is doing a great job.

The pics, are showing some of the suffering through which I have to go through, in order to create the anti-slip flooring found on the upper decks. the detail is all made from styrere strips.

The styrene strips cut to size and put in place. I wonder how many hours it took him to d only thatpiece.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Vm_hs_10

The deck of the lower pare of the strucure, showing themarking out. I just wonder how he did it.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Vm_hs_11

Another view of the structure from the rear.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Vm_hs_12

The structure is ready.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 V_0210

Detail showing also the rivets or locking screws which held the base plate of the range finder in place.
    1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Al_ds_10
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Ray wrote:
    Paul Salomone wrote:Ray,

You're more then Welcome My SSM Bro Twisted Evil

lol! you two are going to make me cry... Sad Sad Sad lol! lol!
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Empty 1:72 scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Good morning Brothers, sunny

Feeling a bit better at last, but my troat is still feeling like hell on earth. affraid Anyway I found some time to make one of the 105mm calibre barrels for the twin anti-aircraft mountings. It took me some three hours to do one, and I need 14 in total to attach to the seven mountings required for the ship. Now the trick is to produce 14 barrels of the same dimensions, but that is something I have to deal with as I go along the lines.

By the way, Marco, If Ray and I make you cry - better watch out. Shocked If you don't finish at least two of the ME109s, believe me - WE WILL MAKE YOU CRY: Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

All the barrels for the 150mm calibre seconadry armamant are ready.

Will post some pics next Monday.

Have a nice weekend brothers.
    cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Get well soon Paul... good to see you steaming on despite the flu!

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943 - Page 9 Images10
    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

So Paul, are you going for the "time vs money" option for the mentioned barrels & produce them yourself?

That is, you're going to spend 3hrs on each & when you have considered that they will be "cheaper" to produce them yourself at the end?

Its good to hear your opinion/evaluation on this matter, and if its not much of a hassle with your already tight schedule, would you please elaborate on how much time you spent on each & if they were worth it when gauged against their market price Suspect

P.S. I am referring to "ALL" the little barrels you spoke & was sort of worried about pale

Thanks bro pirat

skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Get well soon Paul ... cheers
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 am

Paul that surface detail can be done with photo etching.
    It can be done at home

I would first cut out the profile in 1mm copper sheets then get a scale pattern on pc.print it out on a special film. iron on the film . It will mask the raised detail. put it in ferric chloride acid until it eats the desired depth
    easy!

D

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:13 am