SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Luke
William
Alex Kontiveis
jojjemannen
Dottore
danchircop
slingshot392
Noel Petroni
AdriaN
bcauchi
Joseph
alexbb
16 posters

My production line

My production line - Page 5 Empty Re: My production line

Post  Guest Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 pm

The two I just finished are not model show quality, but I knoew that when I started them. I just wanted a couple quick builds to take a break from other kits I am working on...
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:17 pm

wedfactory wrote:
    AdriaN wrote:Love the HE finish! the 'spacecraft' looks like a tedious camo. am still waiting for the F105 progress Smile

i am in the process of rescribing all the raised panel lines, a nice boring, tedious part of this build. Afraid it will take a while. (lot of d*mn small panel lines on the aircraft)

I feel for you because that plane is FULL of panel lines! I wont be rescribing. i was never shown how & i dont have the tools Sad

Post  Guest Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:27 pm

bcauchi wrote:Nice work on the production line, i love that Luft what if. Looks great!

Actually is is a "Luft almost was". That design made it to mockup before being canceled because it wasn't going to be an improvement over the 262.

see link.... http://www.luft46.com/fw/fwflitz.html

Post  Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=Wedfactory;1538387]Pulled out the HE-111 and did a little work on it tonight...

My production line - Page 5 100_6208[/QUOTE]

I have been working on the HMS King George V for a group build at another forum. See the marine section for pics of that WIP.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

My production line - Page 5 Empty Shame on you Adrian....

Post  Dottore Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm

saying you DONT know how and was never shown how...just ask at the club and I'm sure one of the plane gurus would be more than pleased to show you how....

Dottore

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 am

Got the wings and tails glued together without hitch. There will be minor pudding required around the engine/wing connection, but the fuselage halves were a B&$%H. It almost seemed as one may have been a touch smaller than the other. Well two model glue and one super glue sessions later we have a puddy monster. (joy :sarcasm:)

My production line - Page 5 100_6209

My production line - Page 5 100_6210

you can see how far off just this part was...

My production line - Page 5 100_6211

sill have some work to do on the cockpit floor...

My production line - Page 5 100_6212

this is what it is supposed to look like when done....

My production line - Page 5 100_6215

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 am

My F-14 fell of the working shelf and snapped at the cockpit/fuselage connection. But it was a blessing. it was a bad joint before so now I can fix it for a better fit!!

My production line - Page 5 100_6216

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 am

I also did some more work on my YF-12. I had rescribed all the raised panel lines now started the build. Had to paint a lot of the inside white for the missile bay. The YF-12 was to be an interceptor but didn't make it. The plane then developed into the SR-71 and the missile?....

Became the phoenix!!

My production line - Page 5 100_6220

My production line - Page 5 100_6219

My production line - Page 5 100_6218

My production line - Page 5 100_6221

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:20 am

AdriaN wrote:
    wedfactory wrote:
    AdriaN wrote:Love the HE finish! the 'spacecraft' looks like a tedious camo. am still waiting for the F105 progress Smile

i am in the process of rescribing all the raised panel lines, a nice boring, tedious part of this build. Afraid it will take a while. (lot of d*mn small panel lines on the aircraft)

I feel for you because that plane is FULL of panel lines! I wont be rescribing. i was never shown how & i dont have the tools Sad

It is not that hard, but that being said it does take practice....here are the tools I use; several metal scribing templates, dyno tape (from the squeeze labeling machines)and a scribing tool. The tool is from Bare Metal.

To scribe simple hold down the template (or length of dyno tape) and drag the scribing tool next to it.

My production line - Page 5 100_6222

My production line - Page 5 100_6223

My production line - Page 5 100_6224

My production line - Page 5 100_6225

There are other scribing tools out there that just happens to be the one I use. Some people sand the model panel line off then rescribe. I just use them for my marker (unless very wrong as on my XB-70's) and scribe right on them. To each his own. (I am sure i just sent shivers through several other modelers here)

Very Happy
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:33 am

Wow! That's a lot of models you have going there, you're making some really good progress on them.

When I was at one of the museums around here, they had a SR-71 out back, I was surprised at how small the aircraft is, don't get me wrong, it's still a good sized aircraft, I was just expecting it to be a lot larger.

If I need to do any scribing, I just use the back of a #11 blade, you don't need to press hard, doing so actually makes it harder to do, just a number of lighter strokes and you will see the plastic coming off. Then just a light sanding to remove the raised edges. The tools shown do help a lot. You can also make some of your own templates out of a pop can or any stiffer material.

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 am

Current Active builds:

HE-111 1/48
    HMS King George V 1/350 (see marine)
    F-105G 1/48
    YF-12 1/72

on the sidelines

Mig-25 1/72
    AR-234 1/48
    A-10 1/48
    HE-163 1/32
    F-4D 1/48
    F-107 1/72
    JA-37 1/48
    B-25 1/48
    F-14 1/48
    F-16XL 1/32
    F-111 1/48
    XB-70 (#2) 1/72

biting as the bit to get started on

AC-130H 1/72
    B-58 1/48
    XB-49 1/72
    TRS-1 1/48
    SR-71B 1/48
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 am

Hi, have been following your progress and I find your build speed incredible. Having similar tendencies but more on multiple builds of the same subject, I can understand your shift from one project to the other but still, the sheer volume of builds overwhelms me! I only manage similar results when I don't sleep nights but that only when there are urgent work builds (architecture)not aircraft models.

I liked especially your pastel treatment to raised lines which I have been doing for some time now as I simply do not have the time to rescribe all those old models. Thank you for the Fixative solution which I hadn't tried - will try it out asap.

I was particularly following your Ju87 model but was a wee bit disappointed by the colours which for 70/71 appear a bit off - could be the photos or my monitor... Liked especially your quick build of the Flitzer which came out quite nice and hope to see more finished models.

Once again, you are one fantastic modeller. Just love seeing your work.

(And if I may ask, what is that blue masking tape you use?!)
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

My production line - Page 5 Empty Blue masking tape...

Post  Dottore Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Aldo I think its the type we used for that Dymo thing to punch out inscriptions...

Dottore

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Aldo wrote:Hi, have been following your progress and I find your build speed incredible. Having similar tendencies but more on multiple builds of the same subject, I can understand your shift from one project to the other but still, the sheer volume of builds overwhelms me! I only manage similar results when I don't sleep nights but that only when there are urgent work builds (architecture)not aircraft models.

I liked especially your pastel treatment to raised lines which I have been doing for some time now as I simply do not have the time to rescribe all those old models. Thank you for the Fixative solution which I hadn't tried - will try it out asap.

I was particularly following your Ju87 model but was a wee bit disappointed by the colours which for 70/71 appear a bit off - could be the photos or my monitor... Liked especially your quick build of the Flitzer which came out quite nice and hope to see more finished models.

Once again, you are one fantastic modeller. Just love seeing your work.

(And if I may ask, what is that blue masking tape you use?!)

If you are referring to the blue tape you see on my canopies or on models for paint masking...
    The blue masking tape I use is 3M painters tape picked up at the local hardware store. Sticky enough to stay down but not so sticky that leave a residue.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Thankyou for that quick demonstartion cheers
    I often try rescribing with the back of a blade, but never seems to work. it keeps slipping onto the wrong part, the line will be too thin or the line gets clogged when i sand it down.

While researching tools i came across a tutorial
    http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/rescribingda_1.htm

Still waiting for the F105 Sleep
    Have you planned out the markings and paints?? i converted the revell paints to MM and bought some of the paints, not to sure about them, they seem a bit off scratch

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:54 pm

AdriaN wrote:Thankyou for that quick demonstartion cheers
    I often try rescribing with the back of a blade, but never seems to work. it keeps slipping onto the wrong part, the line will be too thin or the line gets clogged when i sand it down.

While researching tools i came across a tutorial
    http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/rescribingda_1.htm

Still waiting for the F105 Sleep
    Have you planned out the markings and paints?? i converted the revell paints to MM and bought some of the paints, not to sure about them, they seem a bit off scratch

I am planning to do the weasel from the 35 TFW, 562nd TFS, only because it has the big "WW" on the tail. Letters here in the states that are synonymous with wild weasels. I also plan to use the MM paints colors FS36622 Camo grey (very light grey) for the under belly, FS34079 for the dark green, FS 34102 for the med green and FS30219 for the dark tan. I used these on my F-111 and it turned out quite well.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Dont you hate it when they give you too many markings? and you cant choose one? Mad

Good choice. im thinking of that too. i love the wrap around mouth & shields but dont like the WW in black! I like the 17th WWS but the mouth is ugly, but i like the cartoon & 'patience' on the intakes. I like the south vietnam.. but it has no mouth Crying or Very sad

Regarding paints: were on the same track. The Model Shop sadly didnt have the camo gray. For dark green i will be using revell 'raf dark green'. Dark tan looks a bit too dark dont you think?
    The confusing part is I converted FS 34102 into MM and i got FS1713 Medium green AND FS1591 olive green Idea Which is the right colour? they are both VERY different! to be safe i have both greens. The problem is both med green and dark green are dark colours. not very accurate. since the 2 shades on the F105 are pretty different. affraid

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Here is a pic of my F-111 with the color combo I plan to use on it.

My production line - Page 5 100_5652

I think the medium green is a little off, but with the weathering I will add later it should turn out ok. If anything the med green should be a shade darker maybe, not by much though. But over all I am not going to loss sleep over it...

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 am

starting to look like something now....

My production line - Page 5 100_6226

My production line - Page 5 100_6228

My production line - Page 5 100_6227

There is going to be some serious puddying required on the underside...
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 am

AdriaN wrote:Dont you hate it when they give you too many markings? and you cant choose one? Mad

Good choice. im thinking of that too. i love the wrap around mouth & shields but dont like the WW in black! I like the 17th WWS but the mouth is ugly, but i like the cartoon & 'patience' on the intakes. I like the south vietnam.. but it has no mouth Crying or Very sad

Regarding paints: were on the same track. The Model Shop sadly didnt have the camo gray. For dark green i will be using revell 'raf dark green'. Dark tan looks a bit too dark dont you think?
    The confusing part is I converted FS 34102 into MM and i got FS1713 Medium green AND FS1591 olive green Idea Which is the right colour? they are both VERY different! to be safe i have both greens. The problem is both med green and dark green are dark colours. not very accurate. since the 2 shades on the F105 are pretty different. affraid

Adrian, the FS code is in 5 numbers with the first number denoting gloss, semi or matt. The 2 MM numbers you quote are just catalog numbers not FS. For details on FS visit http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html.
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 am

If you are referring to the blue tape you see on my canopies or on models for paint masking...
    The blue masking tape I use is 3M painters tape picked up at the local hardware store. Sticky enough to stay down but not so sticky that leave a residue.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! We only get limited 3M items and I don't think I've ever seen any of this tape. Will keep a look out.
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 am

3M Blue masking tape is available from Gauci Borda Marine Chandler Msida or Gzira.
    D
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

David wrote:3M Blue masking tape is available from Gauci Borda Marine Chandler Msida or Gzira.
    D

Thanks David! Will check it out.

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Nice selection of models on the production line, and interesting subjects. Since We are talking about production line, this is mine,

On the slow lane,
    Me 262b-1
    Me109 x 3
    Arado Ar234B-2/N
    Spitfire mkIXc
    Seafire III
    Blackburn Roc
    SeaFury FB.11
    Tempest mk.V
    P-51D
    Panther F9F-5
    Avia B534
    Bf-108
    heinkel he-177*
    Atlantic I*
    Nimrod*
    KC-97*
    Harrier GR7
    Transall*
    F-117
    F-101
    F-106
    Canberra B8
    Blohn & Voss Bv222*
    Mig-21
    F-16C
    B-29*
    OV-1D Mohawk
    Skyraider (USAF version)
    EB-66*
    those marked with * are in 1/72nd scale.

Current active projects,

Saab Draken
    A-7D Corsair
    P-47D
    P-51B
    Hellcat mk.1
    F/A-18F
    Do335
    Tornado ADV
    F-104G

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 pm

J.Fenech wrote:Nice selection of models on the production line, and interesting subjects. Since We are talking about production line, this is mine,

On the slow lane,
    Me 262b-1
    Me109 x 3
    Arado Ar234B-2/N
    Spitfire mkIXc
    Seafire III
    Blackburn Roc
    SeaFury FB.11
    Tempest mk.V
    P-51D
    Panther F9F-5
    Avia B534
    Bf-108
    heinkel he-177*
    Atlantic I*
    Nimrod*
    KC-97*
    Harrier GR7
    Transall*
    F-117
    F-101
    F-106
    Canberra B8
    Blohn & Voss Bv222*
    Mig-21
    F-16C
    B-29*
    OV-1D Mohawk
    Skyraider (USAF version)
    EB-66*
    those marked with * are in 1/72nd scale.

Current active projects,

Saab Draken
    A-7D Corsair
    P-47D
    P-51B
    Hellcat mk.1
    F/A-18F
    Do335
    Tornado ADV
    F-104G

I have finished a ME-262B-1 in 1/72 scale I did it in Brit markings however as a captured 262. It was for a model group build for a model show where every aircraft was in alternate markings.

I have 2 more of the ME-262b on my to do shelf in 1/48 and 1/32 scales

I also have the AR-234 night fight under construction right now (on the slow lane as you put it)

I had started a F-117 in 48 scale it was a Pro modeler kit but I had problems with fit (not sure if it was me or the kit but it was deep sixed during the move. Want to get another on though.

Also did the DO-335 (revell kit) was just getting back into the hobby then and would love to revisit that one. I would still do the revel kit over the tamiya because I like the two seater version.

The BF-108 is on my to get list (along with about 120 other aircraft..)

I have an F-104C (1/48 hasagawa kit) I want to start, but I have rounded up USAF vietnam decals for it, not the bare metal the box has.

The Skyraider, USAF version is also on my to get list. Which company's kit are you building?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm